Information for Participants
Every Step Counts Autism Walk & 5K Run
Centennial Park, Ellicott City, MD 21042
October 2, 2021
9:00AM - Noon
Before You Arrive
- Register early! Registration increases by $5 after 1:00pm on 9/30/21. T-shirts and sizes cannot be guaranteed for registrations completed after 9/12/21.
- Avoid lines on race day! Pick up you race packet (t-shirt, 5K bib, etc.) at one of the Packet Pick-up locations:
- Sunday, September 26, 1-3pm at HCAS, 9770 Patuxent Woods Dr, Suite 308, Columbia, MD
- Thursday, September 30, 5-8pm at Feet First, Wilde Lake Village Center, 5305 Village Center Drive #110, Columbia, MD
- Review the event map (below) and the routes for the 5K Run, 4K Walk and 1K Stroll. Race route guides will be positioned at trail intersections along the walk/run route to provide directions.
- Please make every effort to carpool if you are driving to the event. Centennial Park South has limited parking.
- If you are sick or exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19 (fever, chills, cough, difficulty breathing, muscle aches, sore throat, diarrhea, recent loss of taste or smell), please stay home and do not enter the event area.
- Unable to join us on October 2nd? Click here to learn about the Virtual Walk & 5K Run.
What to Do When You Arrive
- Allow enough time to park and walk to the main event area which is in the South Area of the park near Pavilions A, B & C. The area will be congested. Allow even more time if you need to register and check-in. The registration area opens at 9:00am.
- Look for our Parking Volunteers in the orange t-shirts who will direct traffic and can guide you to parking areas.
- Park only where directed. Parking is limited in the South Area of Centennial Park.
- Overflow parking is available at Columbia Presbyterian Church across Route 108 from Centennial Park’s main South entrance at 10001 Clarksville Pike (MD-108).
- The parking loop adjacent to the main event area will be reserved for handicapped parking and loading/unloading by exhibitors/VIPs/special guests/staff.
- Check-in: If you did not attend Packet Pick-up, visit the registration tables near the Start/Finish to check in and pick up your t-shirt and/or bib.
- On-site Registration: Anyone in your party who needs to register on-site may do so at the registration tables. Credit cards, checks and cash will be accepted.
- Online Registration will remain open through 9:45AM on October 2. Registrations with credit card payment may be completed online on a mobile device by the participant. Registrations with cash or check payment will be processed through the event website by a volunteer on site.
- Off-line Registration requires a completed registration form for each participant (Click on PDF link below) with payment (CC#, check or cash). Bring these items to the event on October 2 or mail them by 9/24/21 to: HCAS, 9770 Patuxent Woods Drive, Suite 308, Columbia, MD 21046.
- The Start/Finish Line (marked by a balloon arch) for the 5K Run, 4K Walk and 1K Stroll events is located in the South Area of Centennial Park, near Pavilion A (see map below).
- Event check-in, on-site registration, entertainment and Grab 'n Go tables are located nearby in the event village.
- Don’t forget to snap a team photo or Go LIVE at our colorful Photo Backdrop on the volleyball court. Post on your social media and remember to tag us @HowardCountyAutismSociety on Facebook or @hocoautism1 on Instagram!
- Visit with our roving entertainers!
- Warm up with the fitness gurus from SPIRIT CLUB before you head out to walk or run!
- When you finish your run or walk, take a Grab 'n Go Bag with water, snacks and giveaways from our wonderful sponsors!
Out on the Course
- 5K Run starts at 10:00AM
- 4K Walk starts at 10:10AM
- 1K Stroll starts at 10:20AM
- Review the map (below) of the three event courses.
- Race route guides will be out on the course at trail intersections to point you in the right direction for your event.
- If you find yourself off course or lost, ask the nearest Volunteer (wearing an orange t-shirt) for assistance or call 443-799-7081 or 240-271-7066.
- If you see another event participant who appears to be lost, please point them in the direction of the Finish line, ask a Volunteer to help, or call 443-799-7081 or 240-271-7066.
- Enjoy the scenery while out with family and friends.
At the Finish Line
- After putting in that final burst of speed for a photo finish, capture a Finish line photo at our colorful Photo Backdrop to celebrate your effort.
- Pick up a Grab 'n Go bag and water from the refreshment table to refuel.
- At 11:15AM, winners of awards for the company team and family team that raised the most money, the team with the most members, and the most spirited team will be announced and prizes presented.
- Winners of the 5K Run race categories will be announced and prizes awarded.
Weather – The event will proceed rain or shine. The event will be cancelled only if there is a threat of tornadoes, excessive wind, or other natural disasters before the start time. Call 240-271-7066 or 443-799-7081 or check HCAS social media (Facebook) if you are unsure of the event status.
If a natural disaster happens during the event, an announcement will be made over the loud speaker in the race village. Park rangers and police will go around the route to alert volunteers and participants on the course. If you have any question while carrying out your volunteer duties, call 240-271-7066 or 443-799-7081.
Medical – In the event of a medical emergency, Howard County emergency responders will be called. Basic first aid supplies (e.g., Bandaids) will be available at the check-in area.
Please keep a look out for event participants and others who appear to be lost. If you see someone wandering around the course, please point them in the direction of the finish line.