Virtual Results - How to accept them and how your participants can post them:
Virtual races approach virtual results in many different ways, including:
- Actually completing the race is optional! It's more about the swag.
- Results are available but posting is optional. No awards.
- Everyone is encouraged to post results, and awards are mailed.
There are multiple ways to learn how to offer virtual results.
We can't tell you what your results policy should be, but we do have tools that make submitting and publishing results an process easy for your race and your runners. Virtual Results are an optional feature, and you are not required to enable them to host a virtual race on RunSignup.
Free Virtual Results with a Virtual Race or Challenge
There are multiple options for participants to submit results.
- Submit Online: The most common option for submitting results: participants submit results from their user profile, on the registration management screen, or directly on the results page.
- Submit via Text Bot: Text results allow participants to submit their results via text message. Learn more here.
- Submit via RaceJoy: Races that enable RaceJoy can now have results auto-submitted from the app. More information about this option can be found here, and certified RaceJoy Providers can be found here.
Use the session, slides, or how-to guide found above for step-by-step instructions for results setup. A few additional tips before you setup your results:
- No Bibs, No Results. Participants cannot submit results unless they have bib numbers, and bib numbers must be assigned before the first message is distributed, or results will not work. We recommend turning on automatic bib assignment.
- Bibs before messages. Bib numbers must be assigned before the first message is distributed, or results will not work.
- Results Dates: Set your dates based on the time range for completing your race.
- Results Set: This is the results page that this event's results will appear on. For most races, this is the same name as the Event (for example, Virtual 5K). You can create a new results set from the dropdown.
- Minimum/Maximum Times: Set the minimum and maximum time the race should take to prevent misreporting (such as 30 seconds instead of 30 minutes). Remember to account for walkers!
- Require Race Director Approval: Checking this means you will need to go in and review all results (RaceDay Tools >> Enhanced Virtual Race >> Approve Results) before they are posted. The two reasons you may turn this on are to provide a secondary check for any results that look "off", and/or to post all results at the same time, after the race has concluded. It's not recommended if you have a large field.
- Allow Finish Without Time: Enabling this option allows participants to acknowledge their finish without publicly posting a time (people can still choose to include a time!). This is a good option to encourage walkers and beginners.
Clear instructions for your participants are key. The link below is a thorough How-To you can share with participants to ensure they understand the process - make sure you've read it and understand it yourself, as well!
How to Submit Virtual Results: https://help.runsignup.com/support/solutions/articles/17000087349-submit-and-manage-virtual-results